Saturday, July 14, 2012

Striking When Called to Speak


One good thing about being stuck in a hotel room with no phone, no wi-fi, and kids that nap for 3 hours is you have time to read the Bible and type up blogs. While finishing the book of Numbers, I found myself having more questions than answers.

As I continued my reading, my questions were answered:

  • In Exodus 17, The Israelites are complaining of thirst and stuck in the desert. God directs Moses to strike a nearby rock for water to come out. Moses obeys this seemingly silly command and God follows through by sending water flowing from the rock.
  • We read almost this exact same story years later(recorded in Numbers 20). The Israelites find themselves once again complaining of thirst and stuck in a dry desert.  This time God tells Moses to speak to the rock and water would come pouring out but Moses strikes the rock instead. Why? Why would Moses strike the rock and not speak to it? And why is it a big deal?
  • Moses chose to do what "worked" instead of what God called him to do. Moses trusted Gods method over God's call. Do you ever find yourself doing more based upon great results from the past? Do you fully trust God and what he may be calling you to do? Is God calling you to "speak" into where you (or where you would rather) "strike"? When we have more faith in procedures of the past than callings for the present, we too may be keeping ourselves from experiencing God's promises/promised land for our lives.
God's response to Moses' lack of trust: But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them [promised land].” Numbers 20:12

My additional thoughts: Speaking to a rock may have seemed incredibly embarrassing to Moses. Maybe striking the rock seemed less "amateur". Maybe it made him feel as if he had more of a part to play in God's miracle. I can relate. God often calls us to do/be what the world deems silly (1 Corinthians 1:27). I would rather look silly in the eyes of man than lose my place in God's promises for this life. Let's be a people who live by faith and not by sight, statistical results, or salary!

No comments:

Post a Comment