Tuesday, May 29, 2012

mmm... I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!


Growing up, I loved picking various flowers and weeds from the yards around my home and using them for games I was playing. One flower that I was reminded of today was the buttercup flower (a member of the ranunculus family).--- See, my blog can be educational too! :)

Buttercup Flowers
(I forgot I had a flash.)
These bright yellow flowers seemed to grow almost everywhere. Each Spring I would make it my goal to pick as many as I could. There was a game that went with picking them. (Stop me if you already know about this- oh wait you can't this is a blog.) :) Whenever you pick a buttercup, you are supposed to hold it under your chin. The story is that if your neck/chin reflects the yellow from the flower than you love butter. If it does not, than you do not love butter.

As an adult I see how much this game really doesn't make sense. mean, what does a yellow reflection have to do with liking butter? What if one flower reflects yellow and another didn't? Nevertheless, this game was exciting to me. I loved picking buttercups because I wanted to see if I would reflect their color.

Tonight, while I was on my walk I saw these buttercup flowers and was reminded not only of this silly game but of what or Whom I reflect today. I guess I should fill you in on what I was doing and thinking before I saw these flowers. I love having quiet time w/ God and catching up on prayers that are heavy on my heart when I walk. Before I stumbled across these flowers I was earnestly praying Psalm 139. I LOVE that verse! I had just finished earnestly pleading with God over this section of the scripture when I saw the silly flowers Psalm 139: 23-24:


Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting. 


For the first time, I saw this small patch of buttercup flowers in a whole new light. What do people see when they see me? What/Who's reflection do they see when they see me? It is my prayer that others see not that I like butter but that I love Jesus Christ. That is the call for all of us who call ourselves Christ followers.

As silly as it may sound, this little flower stirred up an excitement within me that I haven't felt over them in years. If I am not reflecting Christ- his love, discipline, grace, patience..etc- than I would dare say I am doing NOTHING I am meant to do in this short little life. I have as much right to call myself a "Christ-ian" if I am not loving like him as I do to call myself a "Florid-ian" who doesn't reside in Florida.
Another side note, these buttercup flowers grow like weeds. To some it is annoying and to some they are beautiful. I want Christ to spread "like a weed" because of His reflection through me. You may argue over my choice of "like a weed" but I would argue that in this case it incredibly applicable. Scripture makes clear that God's plans, wisdom, and Christ are much like weeds to our world. But what our world considers "weeds" God affirms is a beautiful garden.

We each reflect something. When holding the flower to your chin, what/Who's reflection do people see? 



James 1:22-25 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment